In recent years, refrigerated transport has been increasing its growth exponentially, due to the new processes that have been added in this sector and thanks to refrigerated logistics.
What exactly do we mean by refrigerated transport? Refrigerated transport is one that carries out a shipment with specific temperature-controlled requirements, i.e. that it has to be at a certain temperature in order for the products to reach their destination in perfect condition.
Certain vehicles are already equipped with built-in refrigeration, i.e., they are responsible for maintaining and transporting all products or goods at the optimum possible temperature throughout the entire route.
Calculate your budget
Calculate your budget
What is the cold chain in refrigerated transport?
The cold chain deals with the transportation of temperature-sensitive products within a supply chain that must undergo a specific cooling and thermal packaging method.
Refrigerated transport is also intended to protect and offer security to all the products that are moved in each shipment of goods.
For example, depending on the level of perishables to be shipped, a specific shipment can be made from one point to another.
The possibility of being able to transport perishable foodstuffs generates a great economic growth and development, which is why it is currently done at a national and international level.
What type of vehicles are used in refrigerated transport?
Refrigerated transport at national level has special measures depending on the dimensions of the different products to be transported. It is necessary to make special reference to the security of the merchandise and its control to be able to carry out a correct transfer.
All these measures are regulated in the Agreement on the International Carriage of Perishable Goods and Special Vehicles, which was adopted in Geneva in the 1970s.
The following are considered refrigerated transport vehicles:
- Isothermal vehicle: This type of vehicle has an insulated roof, walls, doors and floor, as it allows the temperatures of the exterior and the interior of the vehicle itself to filter through.
- Refrigerated vehicle: It is similar to the previous one, but has its own cold source. What does this mean? This means that it regulates the temperature inside the vehicle down to -20 ºC.
- Refrigerated vehicle: This vehicle has a constant cold production device that regulates individually or collectively. The temperature can be constantly regulated and can range from -12 to -20 ºC.
- Calorific vehicle: With this vehicle we refer to the opposite of the previous ones, with its own heat source, capable of maintaining a constant temperature and not dropping below 12 ºC.
What type of goods are transported in refrigerated transport?
With this type of temperature-controlled transport, many companies use refrigerated transport to meet their needs.
The sectors in which this trend has been most noticeable are food, chemicals, agriculture, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics.
What should be taken into account when hiring a company?
When hiring a company that offers refrigerated transport services, it is very important to pay attention to the following points:
- Ensure that the unit is cooled prior to loading and that the temperature inside the vehicle is regulated.
- Check that the goods are packaged and correct before shipment.
- The goods should be loaded onto the vehicle as soon as possible to avoid breaking the cold chain and to prevent the doors from being left open for too long.